If the Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe I gave you on Wednesday wasn’t enough, don’t worry. I’m on your side. All week, while you’re busy surfing the internet behind your supervisor’s back and pretending to look busy whenever he walks by your cube, I’m dreaming up a deliciously artery-shattering meal for the big game.
Nothing is easier, more delicious, and less healthy than the classic Chicago-style hot dog. Just ask Jay Cutler. Dude probably eats scores of these things on his romantic strolls through the Windy City. In fact, now that I think about it, that mysterious leg injury shouldn’t be much of a mystery at all. Can you say, “I got gout?” At any rate, enjoy.
Chicago’s Hottest Dogs
2 tsp. white-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
½ of a Vidalia onion, thinly sliced into spears
½ of a hot house cucumber
1 large tomato, sliced
1/2 cup celery leaves
2 tablespoons hot banana peppers, chopped
4 hot dogs (I’ve used all-beef and turkey dogs; both have been delicious)
4 hot dog buns, grilled or toasted
1-2 pickle spears
Dill relish to taste
1. Combine the mustard and white-wine vinegar in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Add salt and pepper to the mixture, to your taste.
3. Add the Vidalia onion, cucumber, tomato, celery leaves, and hot peppers to the mixture. Toss.
4. Throw the dogs on the grill over medium-high heat until browned and heated through, about six minutes.
5. Serve your Chicago-style dogs on grilled buns. Top each with a sliced pickle spear and some dill relish.